Senior UX Writer and Content Designer, Commerce
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote and in-office roles. By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
In-office locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communication, Literature, Business, Marketing, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of experience in writing, editorial, marketing, UX writing, or related, as well as leading content strategy projects.
- Experience on UX-focused product writing and shaping content for multi-disciplinary projects.
- Portfolio highlighting UX-focused writing samples and style guidelines.
- 5 years of experience interacting with executive leadership.
- 5 years of writing, editorial, marketing, or UX writing experience in an agency setting.
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, cross-functional technology organization.
- Experience developing information architecture for complex documentation sets or product suites, including localization and accessibility best practices.
- Knowledge of online technology and related products, including web and mobile UI and tools.
- Familiarity with user experience research principles and practices and how to use data to provide informed user insights.
About the job
As a User Experience writer, you are an advocate for Google design, working to shape product experiences by creating useful, meaningful text that helps users complete the task at hand. You help set the vision for content and drive cohesive product narratives across multiple platforms and touch points. As a stellar writer, you have a portfolio of work that demonstrates content that simplifies and beautifies the overall user experience.
You work with people in a variety of UX design-related jobs including researchers, product managers, engineers, marketing and customer operations. Collaborating with each, you strive to establish cohesive language and a unified voice across products and platforms. You regularly use empathy, logic and hard data to inform content choices, and are an expert in your product. You provide content recommendations that include the right words and sometimes complementary data and images.
You use your gift for language to design intuitive, delightful product experiences that help users accomplish their goals. You’re also a content strategist, defining product vision and narratives across multiple platforms and touch points. As a writer, you have a portfolio of work that demonstrates your gift for simplifying and improving user experiences.You will drive guidelines and best practices, manage complex, cross-functional projects, and work with leadership to set goals and implement roadmaps. You provide direction and mentorship to writers and support to peers.
Google has always been about the democratization of information. We’re extending that ethos to the world of E-Commerce, supporting an open ecosystem of buyers and sellers across online and offline businesses. With over one billion shopping sessions happening per day on Google, we’re creating new innovative shopping and selling experiences that leverage Google’s Shopping Graph: a comprehensive, AI-enhanced model that understands products, sellers, brands, and reviews and how those attributes relate to one another and the product information and inventory data we receive from brands and retailers directly.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $130,000-$194,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Use writing and content design skills to create UI text that facilitates user navigation, as well on-boarding, promos, error messages, instructional materials, and other components of the end-to-end user experience.
- Drive vision for product language and content across a product or subject-matter domain, and ensure cohesive product narratives; Document your strategies with guidelines, and establish best practices and strategy principles.
- Manage projects from needs assessment to implementation; identify opportunities, establish priorities, secure resources, and manage stakeholders.
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, legal, marketing, product managers, and engineers; Influence and adapt to stakeholders and their feedback.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship to junior UX writers and educate cross-functional partners on the role of UX writing and content strategy throughout the product development process.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?