Data Center Facilities Technician
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Reston, VA, USA; Leesburg, VA, USA.
- Associate's degree, trade school certification, or equivalent practical experience
- 2 years of experience in Apprenticeship/Technician level in Mechanical/Heating, HVAC, or Electrical Engineering
- Ability to lift and move 50 lbs of equipment and work on platforms, ladders and under raised floors
- Ability to work non-standard hours and differing work rotations/shifts
- Experience in a data center, hospital, power plant, or similar mission critical environment
- Experience in electrical equipment inspection, troubleshooting/repair, and acceptance testing
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment (i.e., Medium/Low Voltage Feeders, Transformers, Switchgear, Relay Protection, Generators, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, VFDs, Relay Protection, Chillers, Air handling units and CRAC units)
- Ability to communicate effectively with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on systems
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise
About the job
The Data Center team designs and operates some of the most sophisticated electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and HVAC systems in the world. Facilities Technicians at Google data centers operate, monitor and support physical facilities conditions. Some of these duties will include heating and cooling of air and water, power supply, generators, UPS systems, electrical distribution and control and monitoring systems. You regularly help inspect, maintain and repair various data center systems such as piping and non-critical electrical or mechanical system components). You provide daily assistance to senior technicians as you read blueprints/schematics, conduct tours of systems and assess their working order.
As an advocate for best practices, you develop creative approaches to reducing operational costs while improving overall data center efficiency. You ensure that environmental and safety standards are consistently met, identifying problems and making repairs quickly. In emergency situations or abnormal conditions, you manage data center performance issues and outages to minimize the recovery time from failures.
The Data Center team designs and operates some of the most sophisticated electrical and HVAC systems in the world. We are a diverse, upbeat, creative, team-oriented group of engineers committed to building and operating powerful data centers.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $77,000-$110,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in facilities systems (i.e., electrical, mechanical, and building monitoring and control)
- Track and trend operational characteristics
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?