We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
The Competition Analyst is primarily responsible for proactively developing, delivering, and communicating timely and competitive case design strategies, illustrations, and competitive positioning to internal and external customers, with the goal of helping John Hancock “win the sale.” As a member of Competitive Services, this person works closely with members of Product Intelligence, Marketing, and Sales & Distribution, to ensure our products and illustrations are optimally positioned to help drive more life insurance sales to John Hancock.
- Proactive engagement with sales team on application pipeline, utilizing data to target specific competitive positions, with the goal of optimizing sales opportunities.
- Monitor inbox & phone queue for competitive illustration requests.
- Understand John Hancock application pipeline and sales trends and recommend actions to drive sales based on competitive opportunities.
- Stay updated on competitor actions and industry trends and provide commentary to management and Sales & Distribution
- Monitor competitor actions and identify market trends and sales opportunities for product actions or product promotions
- In-person proactive illustration and case design support with internal sales desk
- Review key competitor actions and provide feedback to sales teams
- Create material for “Competition Corners” in collaboration with Product Intelligence
- Host periodic calls with Distribution team to provide latest insights for how to win competitive cases
- Work with Product Management to ensure competition is represented accurately during product development process
- Ongoing training & education with emphasis on case design expertise
How will you create impact?
This role reports into the Product function and works very closely with Product Management, Marketing, Sales & Distribution and Value Stream partners to ensure our products gain traction in a competitive brokerage market. You will help our business win more business through your deep understanding of how our products can best be positioned against the competition.
What motivates you?
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit.
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile approach and enable business outcomes.
- You thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
- You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
What we are looking for:
- Reliable teammate who helps build and maintain a positive team culture
- 3-5 years' experience in life insurance Product, Competitive Services and or Sales
- Excellent communication skills and proven success delivering effective life insurance product messages
- A deep understanding of the brokerage life and annuity insurance marketplace and product design and mechanics
- A deep understanding of John Hancock Life Insurance’s product mechanics and distribution strategy
- Life insurance product & case design expertise
- High-level critical-thinking and problem-resolution skills
- Ability to interpret & understand any illustration, regardless of product line or carrier.
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you:
- Values-first culture
We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation
We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Primary LocationBoston, Massachusetts
Salary range is expected to be between$66,675.00 USD - $111,125.00 USD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 150 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.