Director, Account Management
We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
Manulife Bank is looking for two Directors of Account Management to service Eastern and Western Canada.
Reporting to the AVP Specialized Lending Underwriting and Account Management, Manulife Bank, the Director of Account Management is responsible for the underwriting and account management of the Bank’s specialized lending portfolio within their assigned region. This portfolio is our most complex and one of our most significant growth opportunities. It is composed of insurance based lending (Immediate Financing Arrangements, Cash Surrender Value (CSV) lines of credit and similar), investment loans and lines of credit, and financial advisory business acquisition lending. As of December 31, 2022 the portfolio was approximately $2.7 billion. At current and planned asset levels the Bank’s underwriting and account management practices are transitioning to a more effective and scalable operating model. As such, this role will need to effectively partner with sales, risk management, and operations to drive a best in class advisory experience while managing the flow of new and existing business within their region. The incumbent will be required to apply considerable judgment and expertise to complex credit transactions and a very sophisticated client base.
More specifically the incumbent is responsible for leading a team of account managers and analysts in their region that underwrite new credit in the portfolio, complete annual reviews and other portfolio surveillance, fulfill new credit and subsequent draws and manage special loans and watchlist accounts.
· Apply your deep lending expertise, financial acumen, experience, knowledge of tax and estate planning strategies and client relationship management capabilities to structure, review and analyze applications to ensure proposed loans meet client needs, are appropriate, and consistent with the company’s policies, standards and regulatory requirements. Ensure underwriting outcomes demonstrate an appropriate risk/reward trade-off.
· Exercise discretionary lending limits as delegated to approve and decision credit applications in line with the Bank’s risk appetite.
· Communicate credit approvals to sales, advisors and clients and ensure that any conditions of approval and other terms and conditions are clearly understood and accepted
· Lead a team of highly capable underwriting professionals; act as a point for file escalations and suggest changes to the structuring of transactions to meet client requirements and/or strengthen the company’s position as needed. Provide field guidance on deal structure with a view to ensuring a smooth authorization process.
· Oversee the effective and on-going monitoring of files within the portfolio, specifically the completion of annual reviews ensuring appropriate and timely information is obtained such that the Bank can appropriately monitor the on-going health of the specialized & business lending portfolio and appropriately serve our customers
· Monitor collateral surplus/deficits and ensure timely action is taken to allow client remediation and/or protect the Bank’s security interest
· Ensure that at-risk accounts are identified for the ‘Watchlist’ and receive appropriate enhanced monitoring, and where necessary, intervention occurs in a timely matter to protect the Bank’s interests in work-out and insolvency situations
Strategy & Operations
· Promote a strong culture consistent with Manulife’s values that encourages and rewards desired client outcomes, profitability and quality of decision making. Provide expert advice, and guidance on all aspects of specialized and business lending.
· Actively contribute to the development and revision of specialized and business lending credit policies and standards, ensure they are consistent with the Bank’s strategy, risk appetite and intent of the underlying products, underwriting and account management objectives.
· Implement and maintain the processes necessary to manage the underwriting and account management workflow
Leadership & Building a High Performing Team
· Inspire, coach, guide and actively engage employees; motivate and encourage staff
· Manage performance, providing formal and informal feedback and coaching. Establish accountabilities and performance standards
· Build talent capability and engage employees through focused career discussions as well as promoting a culture of continuous professional development
· Role model critical behaviors to enhance the customer experience
· Demonstrate inclusive behaviors and provide opportunities to collaborate across teams
· 7+ years relevant underwriting and lending experience
· Strong understanding of the insurance industry is an asset
· Strong knowledge of tax and estate planning strategies
· Expert knowledge of entrepreneurial and/or high net worth lending
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Expert knowledge of lending policies and procedures
· In depth understanding of insurance- not just the various types of insurance and how they operate but the strategies advisors use in implementing them
· Knowledge of private business financial statements with an emphasis on holding companies
· Highly developed client & stakeholder relationship management and negotiating skills
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Salary range is expected to be between$96,000.00 CAD - $172,800.00 CAD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in Canada includes holidays, vacation, personal, and sick days, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence. If you are applying for this role in the U.S., please contact email@example.com for more information about U.S.-specific paid time off provisions.