Asset Management Analyst
We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
The Asset Management Analyst is generally responsible for providing underwriting, financial analysis and reporting to support and help improve value of a regional real estate portfolio. The role supports one or more regional Asset Managers.
Manulife Investment Management (“MIM”) is the global wealth and asset management segment of Manulife Financial Corporation. Manulife Investment Management's global real estate platform provides investment solutions globally as part of its comprehensive private markets capabilities, offering core, core-plus, and value-add strategies.
The global real estate team uses its global platform and regional market knowledge to find opportunities and get results for its clients. As of September 30, 2023, its sustainably operated platform includes 73 million square feet of office, industrial, retail, and multifamily assets located across Canada, the United States, and the Asia Pacific region. The team is expanding its capabilities to meet evolving market opportunities, building a strong and diverse global culture as an entrepreneurial investment manager.
Our Northeast region includes a mix of office, industrial, and multi-family properties. Geographic focus will primarily be within the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest markets.
Provide financial analysis and support for asset-level decision-making and transactions.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses and reporting across the US portfolio, delivering forward-thinking analysis to support decision-making and strategy.
- Conduct and/or support analysis for evaluation of leasing opportunities, capital projects, and tenant credit. Develop and present findings for Senior Management and Portfolio Managers as required.
- Play an integral role in identifying market trends and extracting insights for the regional portfolio, contributing to market commentary produced by regional Asset Managers. Present and review with Senior Management and Portfolio Managers as required.
Support asset-level business plans and valuation models.
- Support Asset Manager coordination, production and presentation of annual business plans to Senior Management and Portfolio Managers.
- Build and maintain quarterly Argus models and support hold vs. sell analyses conducted by regional Asset Managers. Undertake model audits, quality assurance reviews, and support best practices compliance.
- Assist in coordination of property management teams, leasing teams/agents, project managers, development managers and other collaborators to complete business plans. As appropriate, participate in negotiation of leases and third-party contracts.
- Coordinate appraisal review and commentary by regional Asset Managers and conduct variance analysis to external appraisals.
Support asset-level financial operations and reporting.
- Review and selectively audit asset-level financial reporting submitted from Property Managers, including capital commitment forecasts, expense recovery calculations, and funding projections. Oversee timeliness of Yardi financial and accounting information submitted from Property Managers.
- Review and validate Yardi quarterly financials/operating statements and variance reports. Understand cash flow requirements and distribution analysis.
- Support ongoing loan compliance and credit/security monitoring activities.
- Evaluate and recommend how to achieve maximum utility and efficiencies from existing and/or potential technology tools and systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, accounting or real estate management required.
- At least 6 years of experience, with minimum 3 years of experience as an analyst within the real estate industry.
- Network of industry contacts (investment and leasing brokers, investment manager competitors, investment bankers, institutional and non-institutional landlords).
- Strong knowledge of real estate investment, asset management, accounting and administration concepts. Experience working with real estate funds a plus.
- Ability to manage working with a range of collaborators to achieve objectives and deadlines. Ability to work as a great teammate and to develop strong working relationships across various groups and locations.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills. Sound analytical and problem-solving skills. Effective customer service and interpersonal skills. Strong organizational, time management and priority setting skills to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills (both quantitative and qualitative). Strong risk assessment skills. Ability to compile, monitor, examine, and audit various financial, performance, and/or data reports for accuracy, integrity, and conformance to performance benchmarks. Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to develop investment strategies and provide recommendations for changes or enhancements to improve investment objectives. Ability to integrate top-down and bottom-up perspectives into investment recommendations.
- Ability to draw conclusions and prepare written findings and presentations. Ability to evaluate and determine property valuations and asset performance under a variety of scenarios. Excellent verbal and written communications skills in order to present to and work with senior management and external clients.
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and work under pressure to meet demanding response times, all while paying strict attention to detail.
- Focused and self-motivated teammate who balances independent thinking with the execution capabilities and core proficiencies of the rest of the organization.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Argus Enterprise. Experience with real estate accounting systems required, experience with Yardi a plus.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Primary LocationBoston, Massachusetts
Salary range is expected to be between$72,000.00 USD - $117,000.00 USD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact email@example.com for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 150 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.