Client Dedicated Strategy Director, Influencer
Location: LA, NYC PHX, DAL or NC
At McKinney we dig for simple human insights to unleash the potential of our brands--and we’ve done that for many brands here and around the world. As a Director, Influencer Activation you’ll be part of a cross-office collaborative team, with a center of gravity in our influencer business, on client projects for technology, food service and CPG.
This is the pivot point from questioning to answering—there’s always more to learn, but a Strategy Director, Influencer Activation leads in the process. This role builds upon years of diverse experience to instill confidence in the team and the client, guide younger strategists, and proactively identify opportunities.
- Lead strategy on 3-5 pieces of influencer business with minimal supervision and feedback from manager(s). Own your strategies from beginning to end
- Master the craft of simple human insights, both the work that goes into discovering them and the work that goes into articulating them
- Bring high-level proactive thinking to move client’s business and brand forward
- Champion the work, from conception to sell-through to measurement and optimization
- Lead key strategy needs in new business and present powerfully to prospective clients
- Earn the respect/trust of your creative/account counterparts to lead the business, together
- Earn the respect and trust of clients at all levels as someone who is passionate about their business, their brand, their audience, and invested in their success
- Guide clients, alongside account partners, to clearly align on the challenge at hand
- Collaborate and provide direction across internal teams—including data, social, media, tech, etc—to unearth insights in the most resourceful and thorough ways possible
- Solve problems and “manage up” to the Directors of Strategy and CSO on any important issues before they become larger problems
- Manage younger strategists through the fundamentals of research and development of simple human insights
- Set the bar for how your teams stay on top of and embrace trends in culture and the industry
- Be an example for junior strategists of how Strategy can help McKinney create better, more influential work—including sound, innovative approaches to research, clear and inspiring brief writing, and compelling presentations that sell our work, etc.
Now that you know what the role entails, here’s what you need to be able to do to thrive in it.
- Problem Solving. Uses rigorous logic to solve problems; doesn’t stop at the first answers; and can see the bigger picture. Also, able to apply experiences and problem solving from one brand/client to another, where applicable.
- Creative Perspective. Has a creative point of view and the ability to evaluate work, make lateral connections between ideas, and provide pointed direction to make the creative better. Also able to lead and contribute meaningfully to brainstorming sessions.
- Interpersonal Savvy. Demonstrates high EQ and the ability to relate to all kinds of people—on the team and off, inside the agency and out—as well as build rapport that can be leveraged to create consensus and diffuse tense situations.
- Writing and Storytelling. Has proven persuasive narrative, logic, and presentation skills.
- Research Acuity. Can speak to experience that shows the ability to plan, conduct, and source for advanced research needs, throughout the campaign process—from planning to validation to measurement.
- Growth Orientation. Eager to learn from experiences—both wins and losses—and can speak to examples of how s/he has taken learnings from one experience into the next.
- Perseverance. Shows winning enthusiasm and drive.
7-10 years of strategy work at a creative or digital agency, including a combination of experience with influencer, digital and/or social strategy; new biz experience desired; experience with brand and communications strategy is a plus.