Actuarial Analyst II
Who We Are
Point32Health is a leading health and wellbeing organization, delivering an ever-better personalized health care experience to everyone in our communities. At Point32Health, we are building on the quality, nonprofit heritage of our founding organizations, Tufts Health Plan and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, where we leverage our experience and expertise to help people find their version of healthier living through a broad range of health plans and tools that make navigating health and wellbeing easier.
We enjoy the important work we do every day in service to our members, partners, colleagues and communities. To learn more about who we are at Point32Health, click here.
Job SummaryConduct analysis and data development for a broad range of financial and actuarial functions including product pricing and rate reviews, financial planning and forecasting, trend analysis, product development, and benefit factor calculations. This is a mid-level analytical and technical position and as such must be able to perform execute and/or oversee the analytical and technical tasks required to take a project from inception to conclusion, with some assistance. This role will work closely with one or more departments including underwriting, sales, contracting, finance and product.
A thorough understanding of the health insurance industry with proficiency in relational databases, data warehouses, Excel, and statistical modeling, as well as strong interpersonal skills, are required.
The position is eligible to participate in the Actuarial Student Program, including job rotations every 18-24 months and comprehensive support of the pursuit of Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries.
Key Responsibilities/Duties – what you will be doing
- Performs analytic project work assigned by manager with some supervision
- Develops analytic project plan to meet defined objectives, with assistance
- Facilitates planning and review sessions
- Collaborates with manager in defining project objectives, and design components of larger projects
- May manage one or more large projects
- Uses data systems and query tools to complete work projects, developing new code and tools to meet objectives
- Designs and builds technical processes to address business issues
- Provides input into and/or help structure program code
- Develops criteria to validate results in light of prior expectations
- Investigate unusual results and offers explanations
- Examines and interprets results in the context of the specific business questions being addressed
- Identifies new questions and/or unforeseen data complexities arising from results and takes steps to address them
- Integrates information from multiple sources to interpret results in larger business context
Qualifications – what you need to perform the job
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent education / training
- 2-4 exams passed
- 2+ years of responsible healthcare actuarial / analytic experience
- Demonstrated experience in analytic work
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers, relational databases, statistical packages, spreadsheet and/or database applications
- Well-developed verbal and written skills
- Able to facilitate planning and review sessions
- Developing presentation skills, presents mostly within department and to project teams
- Able to operate in a matrix environment
- Able to implement Actuarial department standards and processes
- Receives regular management oversight of selected tasks and processes
- Increasingly applies own judgment to growing number of analytical and technical issues
- Must be able to work cooperatively as a team member
- Regular interface with various levels of Tufts leadership, staff and providers is required as well
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: (include special requirements, e.g., lifting, travel, overtime)
Fast paced office environment in which the individual must be able to work extended hours when necessary.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility (DEIA) and Health Equity
Point32Health is committed to making diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility and health equity part of everything we do—from product design to the workforce driving that innovation. Our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility (DEIA) and Health Equity team's strategy is deeply connected to our core values and will evolve as the changing nature of work shifts. Programming, events, and an inclusion infrastructure play a role in how we spread cultural awareness, train people leaders on engaging with their teams and provide parameters on how to recruit and retain talented and dynamic talent. We welcome all applicants and qualified individuals, who will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.